Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just saying... and Other Pet Peeves, Part 1

I was going to write a blog about work being that my last day is tomorrow; then, I saw someone post something on Facebook with the plrase "just saying..." at the end as is common for her to do. I decided to start the multipart post about things that just irritate the shit out of me (aka, this entire blog).

Just saying... - Whever you type this, I think you are stupid, just saying (see what I did there?). This is almost as bad as simple grammatical errors (see below). I don't know why this is so irritating to me; I really don't. It may just be that this certain someone types this a lot at the end of her all-too-common status posts about nothing pertinent.

Your an idiot if you use "you're" incorrectly - First off, I made the typo on purpose. Secondly, I really don't understand this trend. You're is a contraction; it is combining two words, you and are. Ask any middle school student, and I would be most know what this is. Your, on the other hand, is a possessive; it speaks of owning or having things. The fact that a large number of people use this combination of words incorrectly baffles me. They made it through elementary school! The same goes for numerous other homophones (I looked this up on Wikipedia, so you can too!) such as too, to, and two or they're, their, and there.

I'm praying for you; Pray for me!; So-and-so really needs your prayers for... - I see this often. I won't comment on religion (yet), but what gets me about this is the overwhelmingly idiotic excuses for prayer requests. I kid you not, I saw one on Fbook asking for prayers for something car related. Seriously. If I remember correctly, it was about an air conditioning unit. Religious grievances aside, here is my only suggestion: if you believe in the power of prayer, please for the love of whatever it is you call holy, use it sparingly.


That is all for now. I have to go pack my bags to go to Knoxville tomorrow to move it.

No comments:

Post a Comment